Council's Dog Management Policy, works together with the Dog Control Act 2000 to ensure dog owners are responsible for their animals.
Responsible dog ownership requires a dog owner to accept full responsibility for meeting all the care and attention needs of their dog and for ensuring their dog does not become a threat or nuisance to the safety or welfare of any other person or animal.
Please see to our Dog Management Policy(PDF, 475KB) for information on:
- The care and management of your dog
- Registering your dog
- When a kennel licence is required
- When your dog needs to wear his collar
- When your dog needs to be micro-chipped
- Restricted breeds
- Burnie's Dog friendly areas vs prohibited areas
- Cleaning up after your dog
- Nuisance and dangerous dogs
- Information about keeping your dog under effective control
Please refer to the State Government's Dog Control Act 2000 for your obligations as a dog owner under state legislation.