Roads, Streets and Footpaths

Service Tasmania

Visit Service Tasmania for information about:

  • Tasmanian road rules and regulations
  • Car registration
  • Drivers' licences
  • Metro bus services


Road closure, occupation permits and works in a street

If organisations require a road to be closed for an event (e.g. a Christmas Parade) or to place a street stall on the footpath (e.g. raffle or information), or perhaps a business or a resident has works to do outside of their property (e.g. painter or a builder, build a driveway) they will first need to lodge an application with council.

There are two types of permits:

Construction standards

Tasmanian Subdivision Guidelines and Standard Drawings provide municipal construction standards for use by subdivision developers, construction contractors, design/supervising engineers.

They can be accessed from the following Local Government Association of Tasmania (LGAT) webpage: Engineering - Local Government Standards and Guidelines.