Oakleigh Park

Oakleigh Park 1.jpg

This small historical parkland is a link with the European settlement of Burnie, being the site where architect and surveyor Henry Hellyer camped on May 8, 1827 on his visit to Emu Bay, prior to the establishment five months later (October 9, 1827) of a township by the Van Diemen's Land Company.

This event is symbolised by a slender column of pink granite, and a plaque unveiled in the sesquicentenary year 1977.

The park is a 0.5km walk from the City centre and features picnic seating and tables, playground equipment, a fountain and sundial.

The park was named after a house known as 'Oakleigh' built for the Van Diemen's Land Company's Emu Bay overseer. It stood near the area from the early 1840s until it was demolished in 1962.

 

 

Location

1 Brickwell Street, Burnie 7320  View Map

Google Map