At Burnie City Council, we are proud of our workforce and passionate about the community we serve. We employ a team of almost 150 people committed to shaping our beautiful city into a vibrant, culturally rich and diverse place to live, work and play.
Our Council is an Employer of Choice and an equal opportunity employer. Our workforce is engaged across a wide range of occupations and services. The Council are currently going through a period of change and we are looking for a dynamic and energetic Health & Safety Advisor that will bring sound knowledge and experience and who will drive positive health and safety outcomes.
Reporting to the Manager, People & Safety this position will lead the cultural transformation of our Health, Safety and Risk culture by implementing effective and practical workplace safety and risk solutions in line with the Council’s WH&S Governance Framework.
Key responsibilities of the role:
- Take a “hands on” approach and collaboratively partner with stakeholders on key Health & Safety performance areas by demonstrating visible leadership and building trusting relationships;
- Lead Health & Safety incident investigations and implement the Council’s agreed safety investigation tools and methodologies;
- Maintain an up-to date incident reporting system and drive the completion of corrective actions to eliminate root cause issues;
- Build internal capability by sharing your experiences and knowledge to develop corrective and preventative actions that result from workplace assessments, incident notifications, auditing and Health & Safety trend reporting;
- Build internal capability by coaching and assisting others in hazard and risk assessment processes;
- Undertake audit and inspections in partnership with designated workplace representatives and recommend corrective or preventative measures;
- Provide health and safety expertise for operational areas as required;
- Develop and deliver company specific training and awareness programs based on identified training gaps and business operational needs;
- Effective management of workers compensation, injury management processes, including return to work;
- Coach and mentor Health & Safety Representatives (HSR’s) to grow their skillset and capability in safe work practices and sound governance principles;
- Coordinate and oversee implementation of all Health & Safety programs and processes.
Information for Applicants(PDF, 715KB)