Council enforces a range of rules to ensure community safety and public order.
These rules are set out in Burnie City Council’s local by-laws, and cover a number of aspects of daily life, including:
- Highways - regulates and controls conduct on highways (local roads) in the Burnie municipal area
- Parking - describes parking of vehicles, infringements and setting of sums to be paid
- Public reserves and public buildings - regulates, controls and protects public reserves and buildings owned by or under the control of the Burnie City Council
- Street dining - regulation and licencing of dining of public streets
- Waste collection and management - regulates the storage, collection and disposal of waste in the City of Burnie.
All residents, ratepayers and visitors are responsible for complying with by-laws and Council is responsible for providing by-laws education and enforcement.