Burnie Youth Council
The Burnie Youth Council is a Special Committee of the Burnie City Council and is coordinated by the Council’s Youth Development team. Being a Youth Councillor provides young people with the opportunity to learn about how Local Government works, develop leadership skills, learn more about their local community and participate in a range of community projects.
Each year two students from each school in the Burnie municipality are nominated by their school to become a Youth Councillor. These representatives are then asked to nominate for the positions of Mayor, Senior Deputy Mayor and Junior Deputy Mayor.
22 Youth Councillors were appointed to the Youth Council in March 2021.
Burnie City Council would like to congratulate all nominees and welcome the Youth Mayor and Deputy Youth Mayors (pictured).
Youth Mayor Danielle Jones
Deputy Youth Mayor (Senior) Jai Mollison
Deputy Youth Mayor (Junior) Olivier Ebdon
Burnie Youth Council provides young people with the opportunity to:
- Learn about how Local Government works
- Advise Burnie City Council on youth matters
- Develop leadership and communication skills
- Learn more about our local community and participate in a range of community projects.
- Join with other young people in Burnie to share ideas