North Terrace Waterfront Road Development

North Terrace Waterfront Road Development

Burnie City Council, along with the State Government Department of State Growth (DSG formerly DIER) share responsibility for the management of traffic on the road network within Burnie. 

Click on the following links for more information on aspects of road management:

Department of State Growth Responsibility
Council Responsibility
Road Network Strategy
Permit to Occupy a Council Street
Applications for Road Closure (Events)
No Go Zones

Service Tasmania

For information about Tasmanian Road Rules, Regulations, Car Registration, Drivers Licences, and Metro Bus Services please visit Service Tasmania. 

Department of State Growth Responsibility

The following roads are under the control and maintenance responsibility of Department of State Growth - Transport and are maintained through the Traffic Division's Burnie Office (telephone: 6434 6496 or 1800 030 688):

  • Bass Highway - Blythe River to Cam River;
  • Mount Street - Bass Highway to Three Mile Line Road;
  • Mount Road - Three Mile Line Road to the southern municipal boundary (near Valentines Peak); and
  • Truck Route

Where these roads have a footpath, on one side or both sides, the Council is generally responsible for maintenance of the road verge and footpath, but with the State retaining overall control for the road reservation.

To undertake work in the State Road Reservation you will require approval from the Department of State Growth and need to fill in an application 28 days prior to the expected commencement date. Works can include (but are not limited to) general roadworks, maintenance, pathways, vegetation management, fencing, structures, footpath and kerb/channeling.

The Department of State Growth also maintain traffic signs, traffic lights and road markings on all roads. Council can arrange for ratepayer requests to be forwarded to the Department.

Council Responsibility

All other roads in the Burnie District are under the care and control of Council, however Council is not responsible for the maintenance of unrestricted streets.

Council Transport Services include:

  • Street name signs
  • Tourist directory signs,
  • Maintenance of Roads, Streets, Drains
  • Regular Inspections of both urban and rural road networks.

Issues can arise between inspections or may be noted for future programs and residents are encouraged to report any concerns they may have to Council for attention.

Council's Customer Service Team can be contacted on 6430 5700 or emailed to please include your contact number.

Council staff would appreciate as much information as possible to enable the nature and location of the problem to be identified.

Road Network Strategy

Council takes an active role in managing its road network and works with a range of stakeholders to operate an effective and efficient road network for the community.

The road network incorporates a variety of infrastructure, including road pavement (sealed and unsealed), drainage systems, footpath, bridges etc.

While a systems approach has been taken in managing the road network, Council, had not to date, had a consolidated expression of how it will manage the road network into the future.

Developing a strategy for the management of the road network enables the network and its operation to be understood, competing and complementary uses and needs to be considered, improvement opportunities to be identified and a coordinated approach to managing the road network documented.

The Road Network Strategy:

  • Reflects upon how the road network is currently managed.
  • Describes the management framework.
  • Identifies challenges and opportunities within the network to support stakeholder’s needs.
  • Forward actions planned to address stakeholder needs and to facilitate economic and community prosperity.

Permit to Occupy a Council Street/ Road/ Footpath Reservation 

The Burnie City Council may grant a permit to allow temporary occupation or obstruction of a part only of a Council street in association with:

  1. the conduct of a public event, or
  2. the conduct of building, construction maintenance or repair activity on adjoining land or premises,
  3. including the temporary storage of equipment or materials,
  4. and the placement of equipment, hoists and machines.

A person seeking to occupy or obstruct a Council Street/Road/Footpath Reservation must first complete an Application for Conduct of an Activity or Work within a Council Street, and obtain a Permit from the Council.

Applications for Road Closure (Events)

The Burnie City Council may grant permission to temporarily close local roads.  An information update released in December 2013 outlines the requirements when applying for a road closure for an event.

Applications can be made by completing the Application and Agreement for Use for Road Closure (Events) and submitting it to: Governance Officer, Burnie City Council, PO Box 973, Burnie TAS 7325 no later than 60 days prior to the event.

Links to relevant documents and standards include:

Sample Template Risk Management Plan
SWMS Guide and Template
Safe Work Australia – Traffic Management: Guide for Events
Department of State Growth publication - Traffic Control for Works on Roads Tasmanian Guide 2014 

No Go Zones

New Road Rules Relating to Skateboards, Scooters, Roller-Blades, Bicycles and other Wheeled Recreational Devices.

As of 1 July 2002 local Councils have the power to declare No Go areas and police will be able to confiscate skateboards under Tasmania's new regime for the use of skateboards, roller-blades, scooters, bicycles and other wheeled recreational devices.

The new rules, which are part of Tasmania's commitment under the Australian Road Rules Agreement, will provide a system where the use of skateboards and similar devices is properly regulated, providing better protection for pedestrians.

The introduction of the rules follows an extensive community consultation process conducted under the auspices of the Tasmanian Skating Committee, which advises the State Government.

The Burnie City Council has declared the following areas within the CBD No Go zones:

  • Mount Street, from North Terrace to Ladbrooke Street;
  • Wilson Street, from North Terrace to Ladbrooke Street;
  • Wilmot Street, from Mount Street to Marine Terrace;
  • Cattley Street, from Mount Street to Marine Terrace;
  • Alexander Street - east side, from Wilmot Street to Cattley Street;
  • Burnie City Council Basement Car Park; Marine Place - open space area west of the Multistorey Car Park, Marine Terrace; and
  • Cinema Car Park - abutting Wilmot Street.
  • Multistorey Car Park.

Under the new rules, skaters will be banned from all highways and major roads, from any road, which has a speed limit higher than 60km/h, marked carriageways or centre-line markings.

Skaters under 12 years old will be banned from all roads,  and skating will be prohibited on roads after dark. As of July 1, 2001 the use of bicycles on footpaths will also be governed by new regulations.

Skaters and cyclists are able to ride on footpaths however they must keep to the left, give-way to pedestrians and ride with due care and attention.

A skater or cyclist who contravenes one of the new rules may receive an on-the-spot fine or may be summonsed to Court.  Police will also have the power to confiscate a skateboard for seven (7) days.

A targeted education campaign is being conducted to advise the community of the changes to the rules and what they mean, with special emphasis given to young people.  This includes the development of a code of conduct for skaters, which explains the details of the new rules.

Should you require further information regarding the new rules please contact the Department of State Growth on 1800 030 688