Hard Waste Collection Service

Burnie City Council offers residents in the Burnie and Ridgley urban areas an opportunity to dispose of unwanted hard waste items. The hard waste collection service is an opportunity for residents to dispose of items that cannot be placed in the regular kerbside collection.

This service is limited to domestic waste only, not commercial customers.

Key Dates

  • 9 October - Hard Waste Collection registrations open
  • 6 November - Hard Waste Collection registrations close
  • 13 to 16 November - Hard Waste Collection Period

(please note that hard waste collection is restricted to residents of Burnie and Ridgley urban areas who pay the compulsory annual Kerbside Waste Charge)

First click on the listing of streets to check if your home is on the collection route then register using the form below.

Registrations for 2017 have now Closed .

Conditions of Registration

  • Items must be placed out no earlier than the day before collection day and no later than 6 a.m. on collection day
  • Items will be only be collected on the scheduled collection day which is the same day as your regular refuse collection
  • Items are to be placed nearby but not obstructing access to your general waste wheelie bin
  • Items will be collected on your scheduled collection day even if it is raining
  • Maximum weights for each item apply - two people must be able to safely lift each item
  • Maximum lengths apply - items must not exceed 1.5m in length
  • The total volume of items must not exceed two cubic metres per property (about the space an average dining table would fill)
  • Any items registered for collection that have a door, e.g. cupboards, fridges and washing machines, must have the doors removed and placed neatly beside the item
  • No hazardous or prohibited items may be left out for collection.

Items that will not be collected include:

  • asbestos
  • tyres and engine blocks
  • green waste (including tree branches, tree stumps and lawn clippings)
  • liquids (including paint, chemicals and oils)
  • glass - broken or unbroken
  • gas cylinders
  • loose rubble (including bricks)
  • batteries
  • mattresses
  • food or items that will decay

* If you have any questions, please contact our Works Depot on 6430 5801 Monday to Friday 8:30am to 3pm.

Frequently Asked Questions

What can I dispose of at the Waste Centre using my waste tokens?

All residential waste items are accepted with the General Waste Tokens - except chemicals and asbestos. There is a maximum of 2 free car tyre disposals per token and mattresses will be accepted free of charge with a token so long as the overall load is less than three cubic metres.

What can I recycle at no cost at the Waste Centre?

  • Batteries – household and car
  • Cans (aluminium and steel)
  • Car bodies (whole)
  • Cardboard and paper
  • Chemical drums from farms
  • Cooking oil
  • Electronic Waste
  • Gas Bottles – (small BBQ)
  • Glass bottles and jars
  • Hard plastics
  • Oil drums and oil
  • Paper
  • Plastic bags (placed in the special bins provided)
  • Silage wrap
  • Steel
  • Timber

How can I dispose of asbestos?

Asbestos can be accepted at the Waste Centre but you must call the Toll Booth in advance and follow their direction as to how to prepare it for disposal.

How can I dispose of chemicals?

Chemicals cannot be accepted at the Waste Centre but you can call the Toll Booth on 6430 5834 for information on where you can dispose of it.

How can I dispose of paint?

If you have a quantity of paint, you can take it to the Tip Shop and it will be redistributed to places like Men’s Sheds or School projects.  (No lead based paints please)  If the tins are empty or near empty they can be placed in your general waste.

How can I dispose of sheet glass or fluorescent tubes?

These items can be disposed of in your general waste.

How can I dispose of polystyrene and packaging materials?

These items are not recyclable so they can be disposed of in your general waste.