Prepare to be challenged

Burnie’s extreme sporting event is on again!

Entries are now open for the 2016 Burnie Challenge which will be held on Sunday 3 April 2016 at the Hellyer College oval at 10am.

Mayor Anita Dow said, “Our very first Challenge in 2011 attracted 690 people, and entry numbers have continued to grow each year with over 1,490 participating last year.”

“Whether you enter as an individual or as part of a team, teamwork is the key to successfully complete each obstacle and the overall course.”

The approximate four kilometre course will have 15 muddy and muscle aching obstacles. The Burnie Challenge is a family friendly event with both young and old encouraged to have a go. It is only $10 for an individual or $30 for a team of four to participate.

“Last year we introduced a secondary race for those who wanted more of a challenge, and we will be offering a similar event this year as well,” Mayor Dow said.

The mates4mates Battle Run ($20 entry fee) is an 8km challenge that will start at 1pm on the same day, ultilising the extra muddy course from the Burnie Challenge.

“This extended extreme event is aimed at those who are physically fit and will be capped at 500 participants,” she said.

Entries for both events are now open at www.burniechallenge.com.au

“The Burnie Challenge is increasing in popularity every year, so I encourage people to pre-register as we have to cap numbers on both events. So it is best to grab some friends, your family or work colleagues and register now, so that you don’t risk missing out,” she said.

Online entries close at 12 midnight on Friday 27 March for both events. Entries on the day will be accepted if numbers allow.

For more information about the Burnie Challenge visit www.burniechallenge.com.au or the Burnie Challenge Facebook page.

For further information please contact

Janine Phillips
Communications Officer
Burnie City Council
03 6430 5716 or 0448 568 728

Email: jphillips@burnie.net