Kerbside Waste Collection

Household waste is collected weekly.

There are no collections on Christmas Day. Collections for Christmas Day will be as advertised closer to the day.

Commercial & Rural Waste collections display a registration sticker on the bin in order to be collected by Council - more Information on Commercial or Rural registrations can be found here:

Collection Times

Wheelie bins must be placed at the kerbside prior to 7.30 am on the morning of collection or the night before. Pick up is between 7.30 am and 4.30 pm and bins should be returned to your property as soon as possible after collection to avoid theft or vandalism.

Bin Size and Waste Type

Residents are to supply their own general Waste Bin. Waste must be placed in 80, 120 or 240 litre mobile garbage (wheelie) bins. The maximum total weight of the bin is to be no greater than 50 kg.

Only non-recyclable household waste must be put in your bin.

Food waste, vacuum cleaner dust and other materials likely to be offensive or to spread must be wrapped prior to being placed in your bin.

Wherever possible organics including green waste and food waste should be recycled. Most food waste can be composted.

For further information on the latest Waste and Recycling best practices visit the Planet Ark - Recycling Near You website 

Please Do Not

  • Overfill your wheelie bin
  • Place anything on top of
  • or lean anything against your wheelie bin

Do not place in your waste wheelie bin:

  • Hazardous chemicals, waste or sharps
  • Hot ashes
  • Oils, paints or other liquids
  • Heavy items such as rubble, car parts, large timber or metal pieces
  • Green waste
  • Recyclables

Restrictions apply to certain wastes, including bio-hazardous wastes, asbestos, liquids and toxic wastes.

For information regarding the specific requirements for the transport and disposal of asbestos read the Asbestos Disposal Guidelines within the Waste Collection and Waste Management By-Law.

If problems occur with bin placement or the type of waste in your bin a notification sticker will be put on the lid of your bin.



Rural Waste

Rural-icon An elective rural waste collection is offered in many areas throughout the Burnie Municipality including: East Cam, West Mooreville, Ridgley (east & west), Highclere and Hampshire. Click on the Map to view:
Note: The areas of Stowport and Natone are serviced by contractors. 

Rural Properties on an existing waste route may ‘opt-in’ to Waste Services by filling in the Rural Waste Application Form.

Fees are charged pro-rata in advance for the first year, and then added to rates in subsequent years. Click Here for the Current Fees

Registered rural collections will be identified by a sticker from Council to be displayed on the Bin, Collection is from your driveway or agreed pickup point.

Silage Wrap Recycling - Poly Marketing Pty Limited T/as Envorinex is collecting waste silage wrap free of charge from all Tasmanian farmers who register. To register or for more information please contact 6382 1844 or visit

For enquiries regarding acceptable waste call the Toll Booth at the Waste Management Centre on 6430 5834.


Return completed applications in person, or by post to:
Works and Services -
Burnie City Council,
80 Wilson Street, Burnie.

Bin placement

Our side-loader trucks with mechanical arms require your bin to be placed clear of obstructions in a suitable location.

Place your bin out as follows:

at the kerbside next to your driveway, in a clear and unobstructed area with the wheels facing the property

at the kerbside next to your driveway, in a clear and unobstructed area with the wheels facing the property

1 metre from your recycle crate or another wheelie bin

1 metre from your recycle bin or neighbouring wheelie bin