Occupying, Obstructing and/or Working in a Council Street

A person seeking to occupy or obstruct a Council Road/Street/Footpath Reserve must first complete an Application for Conduct of an Activity or Work within a Council Street, and obtain a Permit from the Council.

The Highways By law requires a permit for  -

  • Occupation for Works/Maintenance occurring to Buildings Adjacent to road / footpath. 
    Including the temporary storage of equipment or materials, the operation of plant, hoists and machines
  • Erection of hoarding and scaffolding
  • Placement of freight containers and waste bins
  • Construction/installation/repair of new or existing Roads / Footpaths,
  • Opening road surface for connections to: water supply, sewage, storm water drains, electricity, communication cables, gas pipelines.

Click for More Information on the Highways By Law