Livestock on a Council Road

A person seeking to occupy or obstruct a Council Street/Road/Footpath Reservation must first complete an Application for Conduct of an Activity or Work within a Council Street, and obtain a Permit from the Council.

The By law requires a permit to -

  1. Graze livestock on a highway;
  2. Use a highway as a holding yard for livestock;
  3. Drive livestock across a highway more than once per week for the purposes of moving them from one part of a farm to another part of that farm or from one farm to another farm; and
  4. Drive livestock along a highway from one location to another with a frequency of greater than once per month.

 (A permit cannot be granted if it is reasonably practical to use an alternate route. It is also prohibited to drive livestock along any highway in the town areas of Burnie and Ridgley);

Click for More Information on the Highways By Law