General Manager's Roll

Local Government elections are scheduled to be held in October 2018. In order to have a vote in the Burnie City Council elections, you must be enrolled on either the State electoral roll at an address in Burnie or on the General Manager's roll for the Burnie municipal area.

Who can vote?
Those entitled to vote in the Burnie Council election are those who are enrolled on the state electoral roll (Tasmanian House of Assembly Roll) with an address in the Burnie municipality or those who are enrolled on the General Manager's Roll for Burnie.

Am I eligible for the General Manager's Roll? 
You may be eligible for the General Manager's Roll if:

  • If you are a resident in the Burnie municipality but not eligible for the state electoral roll (eg. you are not an Australian Citizen); or 
  • You own or occupy land in Burnie but do not live in Burnie (eg. you lease a shop or own a shack); or
  • You are the nominated representative of a corporate body which owns or occupies land in Burnie.

Where do I submit the enrolment form?
Forms may be mailed to the following address or handed to Customer Services at Burnie City Council. Please note that forms can not be submitted online.

General Manager's Roll
Burnie City Council
PO Box 973
Burnie TAS 7320

Enrolment on the General Manager's Roll is not automatic. If you have previously registered for the General Manager's Roll in Burnie, you are still requested to re-register using the attachment forms to ensure your details are up-to-date.

Is enrolment on the General Manager's Roll compulsory?
Voting in local government elections is not compulsory. However Council would encourage every eligible voter to ensure that they are properly enrolled and have their say in the elections in October by completing and returning their postal ballot.

Where can I find further information?
If you have any questions in relation to the local government elections, please contact Council's Governance Officer, Melissa Knight, on 6430 5700 or email

Thinking about nominating as a candidate for the local government elections?
Visit the Local Government Association of Tasmania's website for more information or the Tasmanian Electoral Commission.